Homestead Exemptions


Homestead exemptions provide relief from property taxes by exempting all or a portion of the valuation of the homestead from taxation. You may file for a homestead exemption if you are over age 65, certain disabled individuals, or certain disabled veterans and their widows or widowers, and are owner/occupant on record of property. You may file for an exemption between April 1st and June 30th of each year.

Homestead Exemption

Homestead Exemption Forms will be mailed out the first week of February to all applicants that received a homestead in 2016.  If you have not received your homestead papers by February 10, 2017, please contact the Assessor's Office at (402)746-2717

New Homesteads

If you have not received a homestead exemption before, you must be 65 before January 1, 2017 or disabled.  If you would like to receive an application, please contact the number above, stop in the office, or come to one of the homestead exemption sites listed below.

Homestead Sites

  • Blue Hill at the City Building - Tuesday, March 21st 9:00 AM to 1:00 PM
  • Guide Rock at the Community Center - Wednesday, March 22nd 1:00 PM to 2:00 PM
  • Bladen at KO Bar - Thursday, March 23rd from 12:30 PM to 2:00 PM

Homestead Exemptions FAQ

Who May file?
Qualified applicants include:
Persons over age 65
Certain disabled individuals
Certain disabled veterans and their widows

What would disqualify me for my homestead?
If the home is valued over $115,000.
If my income is over the amount allowed.
If I sell or leave my home before August 15.

How do I file?
You must file between February 1 and June 30 EVERY YEAR in the Assessor's office.
You may either pick up your form and fill it out at home or bring all of your information in and we will fill it out for you.

What do I need to bring?
You need to bring in anything you had for income. The forms that will have that information include:
*Form W-2 from Wages, Salaries, Fees, Commissions, Tips, and Bonuses, etc.
*Form SSA-1099 from Social Security Retirement Income
*Form RRB-1099 from Tier I Railroad Retirement
*Form 1099-R, Form RRB-1099-R from Pensions, Annuities, and IRA Distributions
*Federal Income Tax Return